Other places of worship in France
Church of Our Lady of Guebwiller
Notre-Dame church is a former collegiate church built in the eighteenth century in the town of Guebwiller (Haut-Rhin). It is one of the most imposing neo-classical religious constructions in northeastern France. It is built in pink sandstone, a typical material of the region.
This church has been classified as a historical monument since 1841.
In 1759, the imperial and princely abbey of Murbach was officially transferred to the city of Guebwiller. The prince-abbot Dom Léger of Rathsamhausen then engaged the construction of a new abbey church.
The final plans, to the extent of the importance of the abbey, were erected in 1761 by the bisontin architect Louis Beuque (1715-1799). Work begins the following year. In 1768, Beuque was replaced in the direction of the works by an Austrian architect Gabriel Ignace Ritter.
The main work is completed in 1779. The next six years will be devoted to the furnishing and decoration of the building, in a style combining French classical art and German Baroque art.
The abbey church, became collegiate church equestrian and princely in 1764 during the secularization of the abbey, receives its solemn consecration in 1785.
In 1792, the collegiate church became parish church of Guebwiller and in 1803, part of the rich furniture of the old church Saint-Léger is moved there.
From 1844 to 1846, the north tower is completed, the south tower will never be completed.